A football club was first formed in Brading in 1871 when the games were played at the Vicarage field and Beech Grove, playing against teams from Cowes, East Cowes, Ryde, Sandown and Ventnor. The club joined the Isle of Wight League on its formation in 1898..
During the 1920’s and 1930’s the club mainly played in the Isle of Wight 2nd Division and managed to win the title on a number of occasions. In 1948 promotion was gained to Division 1 of the Island League, which preceded what was to become one of the most successful eras in the club’s history.
During the 1950’s the club won the Division 1 Championship for a record eight consecutive years and won the Isle of Wight Challenge, Memorial and Jubilee Cups. In 1953 the club decided to purchase their current Vicarage Lane ground. All of the players lived in the village of Brading, and huge crowds would follow the team. For cup finals at Church Litten in Newport, up to nine coach loads of supporters would leave Brading to cheer the team on.
In 1973 the club joined the Hampshire League in Division 4. This was the start of another successful period. Promotion was gained in three successive years and in 1975-6, the club won Hampshire League Division 2, and also lifted the Hampshire Intermediate Cup. This was the third time in five years that this trophy had been won. During the 1976-7 season the club also won the prestigious Isle of Wight Gold Cup by defeating East Cowes Vics 4-2 in a reply in front of a large crowd at Partlands ground, the home of Ryde Sports. In 1977-8 the club finished a very creditable 4th place in a very strong Hampshire League Division 1 in its first season at that level.
During the 1980’s Brading Town became an established Hampshire League side. Unfortunately the club lost its place in the 1st Division following relegation in 1992. However, the club regained their top-flight status again by finishing as runners-up to Portsmouth-based Mayflower in 1997-8. Between 1997 and 2000 the club reached three consecutive Isle of Wight Senior Cup Finals. On each occasion, old rivals Newport defeated the club. In the 1980s the clubhouse and tea bar were built, alongwith the installation of floodlights purchased from Erith and Belvedere.
After finishing in 5th place in the Hampshire Premier League in 2001, the club went through a difficult period when the manager and most of the players decided to leave. The following season the club finished 4th from bottom and in 2004 finished bottom, gaining just eight points. During this period however, the club managed to improve its financial position and made improvements to its picturesque Vicarage Lane ground. Despite finishing bottom of the league, the club applied and joined the newly formed Wessex League Division 2 for the 2004-2005 season.
Fortunes on the pitch turned around over the years 2004-2005. 2005 season was the most impressive in the club’s history with all three sides enjoying success. The young A Team were champions of the Isle of Wight Combination Division 2. The reserves lifted the Isle of Wight Junior A Trophy and also gained promotion by finishing as runners-up in the Isle of Wight Division 2. The first team won the Isle of Wight Gold Cup for the first time in 30 years by beating East Cowes Vics in a thrilling final at St. Georges Park in Newport, winning the game 3-2. The first team also finished in 3rd place in the Wessex League Division 2 behind Locks Heath and Hayling. Having made such huge strides on the pitch and to our facilities off the pitch, we were delighted to be promoted to the newly named Wessex Premier League for 2006/2007 season.
Having achieved tenth place in our first season in the Wessex Premier Division, we then looked forward to consolidating our presence in what is a highly competitive league. In the 2007/08 season our Reserve side joined the Wessex Combination Division Two making an impressive start, finishing well up in the top half of the table and achieving runners-up in the Combination Cup Final. In October 2007 Roy Penney stood down as Chairman after five years and was replaced by Keith Newbery. After a 28 year absence, we were elected back into the FA Vase in 2007, and 2008 saw us enter the FA Cup for the first time where, on this occasion, FA Cup sponsors E-ON, chose Brading Town FC as the team to follow in the competition. A proud and historical moment for the club.
Following the death of Peter Henry in December 2008, it was decided that the the ground would be renamed..The Peter Henry Ground, Vicarage Lane, Brading. Peter had been involved with the club for 62 unbroken years.
Season 2009/10 saw changes in the chairmanship, Mr K. Newbery stepped down, and was replaced by Mrs. Michelle Egleton. As she found her feet, the playing side appeared to follow suit.
The season ended with the 1st team becoming the IOW Senior Gold Cup winners, beating Newport(IOW) FC and finishing a respectable mid-table in the Wessex Premier Division. The reserves side were champions of the IOW Division 2 and the young “A” side were runner’s up in the IOW Combination 1 division.
Season 2010/11, saw Chairwoman Michelle Egleton, stand down. Michelle was responsible for many good things in her short time at the helm. The position of Chairman was taken by Paul Morris. The season ended with the 1st team finishing 4th in the Wessex Premier Division, their highest ever league finish. Sadly, they lost in the IOW Senior Gold Cup Final. The reserve side finished joint runner’s up in IOW Division 1 and the young “A” side were IOW Combination 1, Champions.
Unfortunately in November 2011, manager Steve Brougham stood down. Steve had presided over a succesful period, a very decent man, who worked hard throughout his time at the club, on and off the pitch.
November 6th, Nigel Murray takes over as 1st team manager. As a player, Nigel spent some 12 years at Brading Town FC.
Sadly, the club was relegated from the Wessex Premier Division in May 2012. This period also saw Laurie Wallis and Paul Morris, leave their club positions. Manager Nigel Murray left the club.
June 2012, saw Brading Town withdraw from the Wessex League and return to IOW League, Division 1 for the season 2012/13. The cost of Wessex League football, becoming more and more expensive.
Club stalwart, Steve Lawton, stepped forward to take over as 1st team manager, following a couple of succesful season’s in charge of the reserve side. A re-shuffle on the committee, saw Geoff Ruck take on the Chairman’s role.
2013 saw the Colts section of the club, awarded the FA Charter Standard.
The 2012/13 season also saw Brading Town win the IW Jubilee Cup. The reserve side were IW Combination 1 Champions.
Season 2013/14 saw the “A” team reformed and playing in the IW Division 3. Brading Town also won the IW Jubilee Cup fro the second year running.